Balance issues and surgery recovery most often require that you purchase a device that can help you stand on your own and move around. One of the problems people confront with in such a situation is that they lose their independence, and they depend on other people. However, they can regain their independence by purchasing a cane. They are not expensive, and they can do an excellent job at preventing falls and injuries. A cane will bear a part of your weight so that you have it easy. The last thing you need when you are disabled is to suffer from another injury.
What are the recommended materials?
Canes are made of several materials. However, not all of them have the same features. Also, you should know that wood canes are still manufactured, but they are not as good as the ones made of steel or aluminum. They look fancy, and they are sculpted, but they cannot be folded, they can be quite heavy, and most importantly, adjustability is not possible. To adjust a wooden walking cane means to cut, and I do not know if you want that. That is why the best idea is to choose steel or aluminum.
- Steel – steel is the most lightweight, even more lightweight than aluminum. As you may have guessed, it is also sturdier than aluminum, which is why plenty of people go for steel. Not to mention that steel canes can hold more weight than any other material. However, that can reflect in the price, so you can expect steel to be more expensive than aluminum.
- Aluminum – aluminum is lightweight, and most of the canes you find on the market are made of it. As far as durability goes, aluminum is stronger than wood, but not as strong as steel. This material is pretty cheap, and most people go for it because of that.
Are handles important?
The answer is yes. The handle will be partially in charge of your comfort. You can choose the best cane you can find, but if you cannot hold it comfortably, your experience will be ruined. Also, do not forget about the grip. After all, the grip dictates the stability. You already have your walking impaired, which means you are not very stable. The handle of the cane should not make things worse. You have three valid choices when it comes to handles:
- Round – this is the simplest design when it comes to handles. It is also the most common. Depending on the material that covers the round handle, it can be very comfortable and can ensure a secure grip. However, if you have trouble with your grip, I recommend another handle design. It is for your own
- Derby – unlike the round handles, derby handles are designed to provide extra security for people who have issues with their grip. If you have arthritis, for example, this design is the best for you. As a bonus, Derby handles look very fancy. I am sure you are going to like what you see.
- Offset – we all know that obesity is an issue, and many people have trouble with their balance because of that. That is why offset handles were invented. They are designed to provide support and grip for people who have weight problems. The curve below the handle is meant to distribute the weight down the shaft, which leads to more stability.
What about the tip?
Just as the handle is a major factor in choosing the best cane for you, so should be the tip. There are several kinds designed for different issues, but they are all made to provide the best possible support. They are also recommended according to your level of impairment. Let’s take a look, shall we?
- Single point – this is the most common, and there is a single point that reaches the ground. You must know what it looks like. Surely you have seen a single point cane by now.
- Quad cane – while some models have four points that reach the ground, others have three. Habit dictates that those are quad too, although technically, their name should start with ‘tri.’ The area a quad tip occupies differs from model to model, and as you can imagine, quad tips are heavier than single point tips, for example. However, quads provide a lot more stability than any other tip, which is why your doctor will recommend it only if he or she sees
What to consider when buying the best cane?
There are several things you should take into consideration when you buy your cane. That is because it needs to fit your height, it needs to have a good grip, and let’s not forget about convenience. Here is what matters the most:
- Height – height is different from person to person, which is why manufacturers cannot create a standard size. They did something even better. They came up with the idea of an adjustable cane, a device that can be adjusted to everyone’s size. Wooden canes cannot be adjusted, only cut, so make sure that you measure twice and cut once. Aluminum and steel canes come with multiple adjustment settings, which I find more convenient. Most people do.
- Folding capacity – some models you find can be folded when not in use. It is a beneficial feature when you want to take the bus, for example. You use the cane until you reach the bus station, and when you go in, you can just fold the cane for your convenience and everyone else’s. Not to mention that a folding cane is easier to store when you are home.
- Weight capacity – aluminum and steel canes are pretty sturdy, and they can withstand a lot of weight, but do not forget to look at the specification of a product you want to make sure that it can bear your weight. It may not be an issue with regular sized people, but individuals who struggle with extra weight must pay attention to that.
- Design – while some people disregard this aspect, some of them are interested in design. When I say design, I am mostly referring to color and patterns. Lucky for you, there are plenty of different design from which you can choose.
- Additional features – some models come with all sorts of extra features. For example, you can pick a cane that has a pivoting base. It comes in handy at times. Also, a changeable base sounds good. Last but not least, go for a wrist strap that will not allow you to drop the cane. You can barely walk. How are you going to bend over and retrieve the cane?
What are the best canes?
While there are many fantastic canes out there, picking one may seem confusing. If there were only a handful of models, your job would not be as hard. However, if it helps, below you will find three excellent suggestions.
HurryCane Freedom Edition Folding Cane with T Handle
The HurryCane is one of the most popular canes you can find online. It has good reviews, and it is very easy to understand why people love it so much. There are thousands of satisfied customers who bought and used the HurryCane, which is why I thought I should recommend it as well. The cutting edge technology employed in the manufacture of this product makes it feel like it is an extension of your body. It provides excellent balance, and you will feel more stable than ever.
The SteadiGrip stabilizing technology enhances traction so that you can safely use the cane both indoors and outdoors. The pivoting quad cane will make walking and standing easier for you. You can adjust the height of the HurryCane according to your size. It goes from 30.5 inches to 37.5 inches. You can also fold the cane when you are done using it. However, just because it is foldable and adjustable, that does not make it unstable.
The HurryCane will not slip because it features non-skid traction. You can change the base as well if you like. The weight capacity is up to 350 pounds, which should be more than enough for most people. It comes in various colors and can stand on its own. But even if you let go of the handle, the wrist strap will not allow you to drop the cane. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Vive Adjustable Quad Cane
Vive is an offset walking cane that will provide the support and balance you need to move around. Just like the previous model, Vive enjoys popularity due to its high quality. Lots of people already tried it and can confirm what I have just said, which is why purchasing it is a smart decision.
The Vive cane is very lightweight, which makes your life a little bit easier. It is made of heavy gauge anodized aluminum that makes it as durable as possible. However, the base is made of steel, which provides safety. Even so, the cane is not heavy. It weighs only two pounds. Its sturdiness can withstand a weight capacity of up to 300 pounds, and the quad tip ensures more stability than any other single point cane.
Not many canes have this feature, but Vive is reversible. That means it can be used by both right-handed people and left-handed people. Usually, you need to look at the specifications to see if fits your dexterity. Just as you may expect, this cane is adjustable as well. It can go from 23 inches to 37 inches. Overall, this cane is very safe and sturdy. It comes with slip-resistant rubber tips that will resist in time. You can use this cane on most surfaces, indoors or outdoors. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Ohuhu Folding Walking Cane
Last but not least, the Ohuhu walking cane is one of those canes that can stand on their own. It comes equipped with a 360º pivoting base that has anti-slip rubber tips, which makes it easy to use on almost all surfaces. You will receive the support you need when you recover from injury or if your old age is starting to affect your balance.
The Ohuhu is foldable, which makes it convenient to transport, and very lightweight. It is made of anodized aluminum. The folding lasts a few seconds, and once you are done with it, you can just put it in the bag that it comes with. Unlike the other two models, the Ohuhu has a smaller weight capacity. It can take up to 250 pounds. It has five adjustable height settings, from 32 inches to 37 inches. It all happens at a push of a button.
One of the things you will love about the Ohuhu cane is the six built-in LEDs. That way you can walk safely when it is dark outside, and there are no street lights. The light direction is adjustable. The design is ergonomic, which means the cane is very comfortable to use. The handle is shaped to fit your palm perfectly. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Although I can appreciate the features of all three canes, I believe that the Ohuhu is one of the best canes you can get your hands on. It is adjustable, foldable, it has the lights for more visibility in the dark, and all that has an affordable price. That is why I highly recommend it.
I do not think anybody likes the idea of walking with a cane. However, when the situation requires it, you do not have a choice. But that does not mean you have no options. Whichever of the three canes from above you choose, you will receive what you need. All of them will do an excellent job at providing the help you need. All you have to do is pick one and regain your independence. Click here to buy on Amazon