When you need assistance with mobility, you have plenty of options. You can rely on walkers, crutches, scooters, wheelchairs, or whatever else you think is suitable for you. However, rollators are also an option, and some people consider it to be better than any other assistance device.
A rollator is the best alternative to a walker. The principle behind it is the same as with a traditional walker, but it has upgraded features like bigger wheels (which also swivel), a seat for you to rest when you need it, and brakes. You could say that a rollator is a glorified walker, and investing in the best rollator you can find can change your daily routine considerably.
The benefits of using a rollator
If you have used a walking assistance device before, trading for a rollator is going to be one of the best decisions you make. Not only that a rollator is better than a walker, but it comes with more benefits as well. Here are the most notable.
- They can be operated easily outdoors – you can find walkers that work well outside, but none of the available models can do better than a rollator. The fact that it has four wheels (some have only three) makes it easy for you to maneuver the device. And let’s not forget that the wheels are relatively big and from soft but sturdy materials. That means you can use a rollator on rough surfaces as well. The point is that a rollator will be much more practical outdoors than a conventional walker.
- They come cheap – as I mentioned above, rollators are among the cheapest walking aids you can find. You can go for a scooter or a knee walker, but a rollator is more affordable than that, which is why most people go for it. Moreover, some people do not need it on a permanent basis, so it makes more sense to buy a rollator than a more expensive alternative.
- They come with brakes – I think you have heard about rolling walkers. They look like standard walkers, but the difference is that they have wheels on the back or front. People who use them find it more convenient to push walker rather than lifting it up with every step. However, rolling walkers are not as stable as rollators. Why? Because rollators have brakes. That makes them more controllable, and you will feel safe with the brakes. There is no danger of sliding downhill.
- You have a place to sit – since you have issues with mobility, it is only natural to grow tired faster than usual. Here is where a rollator comes in. When you get tired, you can simply take a seat and get some rest for a few minutes. Some models even have a back rest so that you are comfortable.
- They are adjustable – not everyone has the same height, which is why it makes sense for a rollator to be height adjustable. After you purchase it, you can adjust it according to your needs. As long as you are comfortable with the device, you will have the support and comfort you need when you walk.
- You can exercise – the reason why rollators are considered to be helpful is that they allow you to exercise. A walker needs lifting, and you cannot go long distances with it. That is where a rollator comes in. You have no distance limitations, and you can get the exercise you need to keep the mobility you have left. You can even improve
- Most of them are foldable – that makes them easy to transport, and they do not occupy much storage space.
What to consider when looking for the best rollator?
Since there are so many models on the market, you need to be careful what you are buying. Try to determine some criteria before making the purchase. That way you can make sure that you are getting the rollator you need. If you have no idea what to look at, below you will find a list of the things you should consider.
- Capacity – this is one of the things you need to look at first, especially if you have weight problems. If you buy a rollator that has a capacity of 250 pounds, but you weigh 300, then that may be an issue. Not only that the rollator will break, but you can get injured in the process.
- Brakes – there are several kinds of brakes, and you should get the model you feel most comfortable with. I say that because not everyone has the same finger dexterity. Keep in mind that brakes have to be easy to use so that you can feel in control. Your best options are push-down brakes and loops.
- Seat width – one of the reasons you want to buy a rollator is that it has a seat where you can take a few minutes of rest while you are on your However, that seat is useless if it does not have the width you need. Make sure that it is wide enough so that you can sit comfortably. Also, do not forget to measure the space between the armrests.
- Height – height is just as important as everything else. The good news is that most rollators come with adjustable height settings, which is perfect for people who are very tall or very short. If you do not know how to take your measurement, just measure the height from the floor to your hands, but make sure to keep your elbows slightly bent.
- Locking mechanism – a rollator with brakes is not enough. You need something that can allow you to take the hands off the brakes but keep the rollator still. That is why I recommend that you buy one with a locking mechanism. Imagine that you stop for a bit and sit down to rest. What are you going to do? Keep the hands on the brakes at all times? Of course not. You just lock the rollator in place, and you no longer have to worry that the device will run from under you.
There are other things you can enjoy when buying a rollator like a comfortable backrest and accessories. However, I think that the ones listed above are the most important. As long as you follow that, you cannot fail in buying the best rollator for you.
What are the best rollators?
If you do a quick search, you will see that there are countless models. There is no way to know which one is the best. However, I put together three of the best rollators I could find so that you do not have to spend hours searching for the perfect one. Hope that helps!
Drive Medical Aluminum Rollator
I believe you have heard about Drive Medical before. It is a company that specializes in assistance devices, and their products are high-quality and reliable. That is why many people trust their products. Not to mention that the prices they provide are more than affordable. That is also the case with this rollator. It is a premium device that will make your life a little easier.
The rollator from Drive Medical comes with 6-inch casters that will work indoor and outdoor. They are designed to withstand almost any surface and pushing it is very simple. Your effort is minimal. As for comfort, the rollator comes with comfortable handles that provide excellent grip. The backrest is padded, so it is just as comfortable, but if you like, you can remove it. You can also fold it up or down however you think necessary. You can adjust the height for the handles, and the padded seat is very comfortable to sit on.
This rollator comes with easy to use loop locks. That makes it easily controllable, and you will feel safe and secure. Once you are done using the rollator, you can just fold it together and store it anywhere you want. Once folded, it has a compact size. The product also has a pouch where you can store various items. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Healthcare Direct Steel Rollator
The rollator from Healthcare is another reliable product that will satisfy your needs. It has a lovely design, but practicality is excellent. It is a comfortable rollator that will help you move around without issues. It is made of steel, so as far as durability goes, you should have no concerns. The casters are also made to withstand any surface, and if you feel brave enough, you can try some rough terrain as well.
The Healthcare Direct rollator is a very comfortable device. The seat is padded and measures 12 by 12 inches. The backrest is also padded and is curved for maximum comfort. Sitting on this rollator is very convenient, and it is no different from sitting on a regular chair. The handles provide an excellent grip, and the brakes are more than reliable. The loop-style brakes will help you control the rollator, and the push-down locking mechanism will ensure safety while you sit. Once you are done sitting and want to be on your way, all you have to is pull up the brakes and release the locks. Simple as that.
The product also comes with a waterproof under seat pouch. You can store various items in it when you take a walk. Once you are done with the rollator, all you have to do is fold it and store in a narrow space. It becomes very small when folded. The height varies from 31 to 35 inches (it is adjustable,) and the overall width is 23.75 inches, which means it fits through all standard doors. The weight capacity is 350 pounds. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Hugo Elite Rollator
Hugo Elite is in an entirely different league than the other two products above. You could say that it belongs to a deluxe class. It may be more expensive than the previous two rollators, but if you can afford it, Hugo should be number one on your list. Everything about it screams quality, and as far as durability goes, there can be no doubt that it will last for years.
The wheels have an extra large size. The 8-inch casters will make sure that you have stability both indoors and outdoors. Rough terrain does not present a challenge, and you have almost no limitations. The sturdy frame is highly resistant and is made to accommodate a weight of maximum 300 pounds. When it comes to comfort, there is no doubt that the Hugo Elite is one of the most comfortable rollators out there. It has a 20 by 22 inches padded seat, which you have to admit that is pretty big. The padded back rest provides support so that you can rest comfortably. The under seat storage space and saddle bag will allow you to carry a book, and even do some light shopping.
The handlebars have an ergonomic design to avoid hand fatigue and promote a natural angle that will allow better access to brakes. The loop brakes are highly efficient; the push-down locking mechanism provides safety while you sit down. When you are done with the rollator, you can just fold it and store it in a narrow space. It does not take much room. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Looking at the three rollators, I do not believe it is difficult to see which one seems to be the best. I do not know about you, but I do believe that the Hugo Elite is one of the best rollators you can put your hands on. It has everything you need. It provides comfort, stability, and most importantly, it makes you feel free to move. That is why I highly recommend it to anyone who has balance issues.
It is not easy to face mobility challenges. There is nothing worse than sitting all day long without being able to move around at least a bit. A rollator will be of great help with that, and you will feel liberated once you try one. All you have to do is try. Choose one of the products above, and you will be able to conquer your freedom again. Click here to buy on Amazon