While being trapped in a wheelchair, permanently or temporarily, is not a walk in the park, things don’t have to stop for the person in question. You can still live a relatively normal life, and we must admit that a wheelchair gives you a component of your independence back. It could have been worse if there were not wheelchairs in any way. But lucky for many people, they exist, and they have the potential of making your life more bearable. Additionally, as technology progressed, wheelchairs have become better and better in providing freedom and support, so let us take a moment and be grateful for this.
Should you buy instead? Check the options below.
Wheelchair rental vs. purchase in Birmingham, AL
Even though there are plenty of location in Birmingham, AL at which you are able to lease a wheelchair, I would counsel against it. There are a couple reasons for that you should buy instead of rent, and I am going to list a few of them, just to offer you a clearer image.
- This is a waste of cash — renting a wheelchair in Birmingham, AL may not look expensive initially, but if the bill adds up, you might end up rather than buying just one in the first location. The business that rents wheelchairs will ask for an initial charge, and you’ll be charged periodically, depending on how long you will need the seat for. Also, do not forget about pick-up and delivery. Why would you invest all that cash when you’re able to buy one for yourself? If you keep it correctly, after you are finished with it, then you are able to resell it at a fantastic price. If you will need a wheelchair in a more permanent basis, leasing is out of the question, but you see my point.
- Everything you need might not be accessible — as you can imagine, there are many types of wheelchairs, along with your requirement may demand a specific kind. On the other hand, the wheelchair leasing company may not have everything you need in stock, which means you are going to end up in a seat which isn’t recommended for you. Your only alternative is to accept what it’s given, and which may be bad for you. However, should you buy a new wheelchair, then you can select precisely what you need, and everyone is happy. Bear in mind that your relaxation and stability are the number one priority. It may prove to be inconvenient to settle for something you don’t need. For instance, let us say that you will need a wheelchair using fixed armrests, however the leasing company doesn’t have one in stock. What do you do? Nothing, since you don’t have any options.
- You will get someone else’s broken wheelchair — Would you think that wheelchair rental businesses have brand new wheelchairs in stock? No, some of them are damaged. Not seriously, but they might have a crooked wheel or even a wobbly armrest. You might not want that? Is not it best should you buy a new chair and everything is as it should be? I believe that it really is, and accepting a person’s leftovers is not fine, to say the very least.
- You will wake up with some extra charges — if you rent a chair, the product is the responsibility, so if you scrape it or cause some harm (no matter how small and insignificant,) you are going to cover it. You may lose your deposit or anything coverage the automobile rental company has. The purpose is that accidents can occur, however, you should not live with that strain on your mind.
The motives mentioned above are just the tip of this iceberg, and surely you will find more. That is why I believe it’s best if you buy a wheelchair and forget everything about auto rental.
Anyone who is looking for a wheelchair in Birmingham, AL is worried about the price. The wheelchair price is something that can ascertain whether you will buy a particular thing or not. 1 thing is for sure, though. Prices may vary from 80$ (the simple ones) to 12.000$ (those that could lift you up.) Everyone will pick based on budget, but quality is just as important as everything else.
Most people, not just the ones in Birmingham, AL, do not like to devote considerable quantities of money to get a wheelchair. Yes, there are people who can afford to purchase an extremely expensive wheelchair, but this is beyond the point. Nevertheless, you can get some inexpensive products that are of high quality. And by cheap I suggest a few hundreds of dollars. On the flip side, a wheelchair more than 1000$ can have amazing attributes like elevating footrests and whatnot. At the cost, even electric wheelchairs are still an alternative. The main idea is to not think just of wheelchair cost, but also your comfort and freedom too. Bear in mind that a wheelchair is intended to give back your freedom. It’s not the time to go in market mode.
Wheelchair weight is much more important than you might imagine. It will affect your mobility considerably. The purpose of a wheelchair is to move around with ease. In case you go for a thick wheelchair, that is not about to occur, can it be? In case you have a job, or you want to maneuver around the area a lot, you will need a wheelchair that’s lightweight, especially if you have no one to drive you.
The wheelchair weight is determined by the materials from which the seat is constructed. Needless to say, you will need a sturdy metal that makes the seat durable, but at the exact same time, you need a lightweight alloy, such as aluminum. It is possible to go for hybrids as well, however they tend to be pricier than alloys. At the end of the afternoon, it is you who makes the budget. But, bear in mind that your meal weight is among the factors you will need to take into account before making a purchase. Otherwise, you can experience muscle strain and exhaustion, which you do not require.
Wheelchair accessories are made for your comfort and ease. There are a few things you can purchase with your wheelchair, and here are the most frequently employed.
for a result from sitting in a wheelchair, then you can suffer from pressure sores, skin ulcers, and reduce back pain, tailbone pain, plus a couple more. However, a wheelchair pillow will alter that. There are many versions you can buy, and if you Don’t Know what to look for, here are some options:
- Foam cushions — they are the most commonly bought because they are the least expensive. While routine foam is relatively comfy, my advice is to go with memory foam if you’re looking for an affordable solution. High-density foams will continue to keep their shape for longer, they will take the form of your body, and as much as comfort goes, you will enjoy lots. On the other hand, the drawback with cushioned cushions is that they wear fairly quickly, and you’ll have to purchase a new one fairly soon.
- Gel cushions — Just as the name implies, a gel cushion is made up of foam base and a gel bladder at the middle. People who have used foam and gel state that gel cushions are better for pressure sores, which can be something which each wheelchair user needs. Additionally, gel is designed to assist you with maintaining a healthy posture, and you’ll be pain-free in your lower spine and tailbone. On the other hand, exactly like anything else, there is a disadvantage to this sort of cushions as well. Gel bottoms-out, but kneading the cushion once per day can stop that from occurring anytime soon.
- Air flotation cushion — In case you do not know what’s, let me inform you. An air flotation cushion is made up of a particular number of balloons that match to keep you in a comfortable and healthy position. You have the prospect of adjusting the stress points by tying a couple of balloons to prevent them from inflating. The only downside of the kind of cushions will be maintenance. After all, we’re referring to balloons. They can leak air, and you want to fix that if and when it occurs.
- Urethane honeycomb — Last but not least, urethane honeycomb is the newest technologies in futon cushions. That is because a urethane honeycomb cushion consists of numerous individual cells. As for comfort and support, this kind is great. Moreover, the air may circulate freely between the cells, which means that heat retention is impossible. Because of all those features, and since there are no drawbacks whatsoever, this sort of cushion is easily the most expensive of them all.
Access points are essential for a person who’s bound to a wheelchair. You need one to get out and within the house, you need one at work, and everywhere you go. Lucky for disabled men and women, it is the law to put in a wheelchair ramp in every public area. On the other hand, the one that you want in your home has to be set up by you.
Surely you can come across drops at Birmingham, AL, and truth be told, they aren’t so expensive. But you need someone to put in it to you since I don’t believe you can manage it yourself. 1 aspect you need to be careful about is the wheelchair ramp incline. You want it to be comfortable that you use. If the angle is too high, that could be challenging for you to move up, and quite a low angle necessitates quite the distance for the ramp, which again, it is not suitable. Establishing a wheelchair ramp incline is simple, and you should purchase a ramp so.
Maintaining your wheelchair correctly is one of those things you need to concern yourself with. The greater you keep the chair, the longer durable it will be. When you do not use it, then make sure that the wheelchair is kept in a clean and dry place. But, you may always buy a wheelchair cover to assist with this. It’s not expensive, and it will continue to keep your chair tidy.
Transportation is just another significant aspect if you are in a wheelchair. In the end, you cannot reside at a one-mile radius for the rest of your life. Fortunately, you have loads of choices. To begin with, you can use a bus. The automobile has a lifting system which can help you enter and exit the vehicle. It is very convenient, and while this kind of vehicle is custom made (most of the instances) and perhaps a bit expensive, it will improve your mobility. And let’s not forget about your sanity. If you remain isolated, you can go through melancholy. A wheelchair van will make possible that you get out of your comfort zone and then socialize more.
When traveling is what you are into, you may select a wheelchair RV. It has the same elevating system such as the wheelchair van, but you may also reside in it while on your trip. I believe that to get a disabled person, a wheelchair RV is your best way of transport while on vacation.
Enjoy your life
While I am aware that it is not easy to live in a wheelchair that doesn’t mean that your life is over. You can do plenty of other items to keep yourself amused, and you can still be a productive member of society. It is possible to always have hobbies and whatnot. As an instance, you may play wheelchair football, that is quite popular nowadays. It’s pretty similar to regular football, but instead of running after the autumn, you pursue it while still on wheels. Wheelchair soccer is definitely something you should consider.
In case you don’t like wheelchair football, you always have the option to play some wheelchair basketball. Surely there are wheelchair basketball teams at Birmingham, AL, and those who attend such sports events normally have loads of fun. Who says that individual cannot be you. The point is that you may have fun no matter which state you are in. All you need to do is search for ways of amusement for handicapped folks in Birmingham, AL, and certainly your hunt will develop something. Enjoy your life! It is well worth living it.
After you become used to it, then a wheelchair will become a part of you. You are going to discover how to live your life in it, and you will be more than fine. Nevertheless, make sure that you make an informed choice when you buy a wheelchair. Also, remember about the accessories, and get the very best wheelchair you can spend. After all, this is your freedom we are referring to, and you deserve the best.