While being trapped in a wheelchair, temporarily or permanently, is not a walk in the park, things do not have to end for the individual in question. You can still live a relatively normal life, and we have to acknowledge that a wheelchair provides you a component of your independence back. It might have been worse when there were not wheelchairs at all. But lucky for some individuals, they exist, and they have the capacity of making your life more bearable. Moreover, as technology advanced, wheelchairs have become better and better in providing support and mobility, so let’s take a minute and be grateful for this.
Should you buy instead? Check the options below.
Wheelchair rental vs. purchase in Chico, CA
Even though there are plenty of place in Chico, CA where you can lease a wheelchair, I would advise against it. There are a couple reasons for that you should buy instead of lease, and I will list some of them, simply to give you a clearer image.
- It is money out the window — paying rent for a chair in Chico, CA might not be much, but as soon as the figures accumulate, you are going to understand that purchasing one is a great deal better. Wheelchair rental companies will charge you an amount of money at the commencement of your contract, and you will need to pay a commission for each and every day or week of usage, based on the company. Delivery and pick-up will be charged extra, so remember about that. The complete amount will be dependent on just how much you use the chair. Consequently, at the conclusion of your contract, then you are likely to get a huge bill which will make you regret that you didn’t buy a wheelchair in the first place. And if you purchase a wheelchair and you also just take very good care of this, you may sell it back at a reasonable price. That’s if you do not need it anymore. If you’re permanently disabled, wheelchair rental should not even be an alternative.
- You might not get what you want — there is more than one kind of wheelchairs, and you may require a specific model. Let us say that you want one with foot rests, however, those that are offered for rental will not provide what you require. Don’t settle and go with what you’ll find. It’s best for those who listen to your physician and purchase precisely what you require. Settling can cause further inconvenience, and the goal is to get out of that chair as soon as possible. If eliminating this chair is not a potential, then you have to spend your days in a seat that provides maximum stability and comfort. Otherwise, you would not buy a wheelchair at the first location.
- You won’t get a brand new wheelchair — wheelchair rental companies provide chairs for everybody, so if anybody breaks you, it is going to be ‘fixed’ and place back in stock. But some harms cannot be undone, and you might wake up with a damaged chair. It might not be severe, however a bent wheel can be exceedingly inconvenient. You don’t wish for that, do you really? A new chair includes its own integrity intact, and that is what you should wish for. After all, using something which someone else broke should not be an alternative for you.
- You might lose your deposit — when you select wheelchair rental, you can lose your deposit in the smallest scratch. Accidents happen, and should they do having a rented chair, you’ll have to pay for it one way or the other. Who needs that anxiety?
The reasons mentioned previously are only the tip of this iceberg, and surely there are more. That’s the reason I feel it is better if you buy a wheelchair and overlook everything about wheelchair rental.
Anyone who is on the lookout for a wheelchair in Chico, CA is concerned about the purchase price. The wheelchair cost is something that could ascertain whether you will buy a specific thing or not. 1 thing is for certain, though. Prices can vary from 80$ (the simple ones) to 12.000$ (the ones who may lift you up.) Everybody will decide according to budget, however, quality is equally as important as everything else.
Many folks in Chico, CA prevent spending too much money on a wheelchair. That is unless they can easily manage it. However, while there are high-quality wheelchairs that cost a couple hundred dollars, spending more than a thousand bucks can bring you multiple advantages including simplifying footrests, or even an electric wheelchair which will be able to enable you to get up that hill. The purpose is that the more you invest, the more benefits you’ll be able to enjoy. After all, the wheelchair is the way to liberty. It is not the second to become a cheapskate.
Many of you that are searching for the ideal wheelchair ought to know that weight is important. The wheelchair weight will determine how easy you move around. Another factor you will need to think about is how far you are going to move. If you’ve got a job, as an instance, you may need to move quite a lot, which means a hefty wheelchair will make that a little bit difficult for you, particularly in the event you intend on having no help.
The wheelchair weight is ordered by the materials used for its structure. Lucky for you, you can find lightweight materials out there that may be as sturdy as possible. Take aluminum, for example. It is a hard metal, but very lightweight. Hybrids are also an option, but they’re a bit costly. Alloys, on the other hand, are among the least expensive materials. Ultimately, the decision is yours, and you may base your decision based upon your budget. However, do not forget that your meal weight is something that you need to bear in mind prior to buying a particular item. In the end, you’re the one who will push it around all day long.
when you purchase a wheelchair, you should also think of the accessories that you will need for this. What it’s sure is that you will need a few things that will enhance your mobility, and let’s not forget about comfort. Bearing that in mind, here are the most common accessories you will require.
Sitting in a wheelchair all day long can lead to pressure sores, skin ulcers, poor posture, and even more. You need your spine and tailbone to become presentable, which explains why a wheelchair pillow is more than necessary. You can pick from a huge assortment of wheelchair cushions, but if you do not know which kind to pick, here are a couple of bit of information you need to know:
- Foam cushions — Foam has become the most common material used in wheelchair cushions. It’s probably because foam is cheaper than other materials. However, high-density foam is much better than regular foam. I suppose you’ve heard of memory foam. It gives maximum comfort, it is going to assist with pressure sores, and it takes the form of your body. However, foam cushions are prone to wear and tear much quicker than other materials. They don’t survive very long, especially if they’re in use every day.
- Gel cushions — Just as its name implies, a gel cushion consists of a foam base and a gel bladder at the center. Individuals who have used foam and gel state that gel cushions are far better for pressure sores, and it can be something which each wheelchair user needs. Additionally, gel is designed to assist you with keeping a wholesome position, and you’ll be pain-free on your lower spine and tailbone. On the other hand, just like anything else, there is a drawback to this kind of cushions also. Gel bottoms-out, but kneading the cushion once daily may prevent that from occurring anytime soon.
- Air flotation cushion — I guess you can imagine how this pillow works. There is a balloon system that once inflated, it will provide the comfort you require. It’s possible to fix the pressure points if you would like, but maintaining such a cushion may prove hard. The same as any other balloon, then they could leak air.
- Urethane honeycomb — Last but not least, urethane honeycomb is the latest technologies in wheelchair cushions. That’s because a urethane honeycomb pillow consists of numerous cells. In terms of comfort and support, this type is superb. Moreover, the air may circulate freely between the cells, meaning that heat retention is impossible. Due to all those features, and since there are not any drawbacks whatsoever, this kind of cushion has become easily the most expensive of them all.
Just someone who is bound to a wheelchair may comprehend the significance of a wheelchair ramp. The lack of access is a real obstacle for a disabled person, which is the reason it is a good thing that many public spaces are obligated by law to install wheelchair ramps. Nonetheless, you have to install one at your home as well.
I am sure that you can discover numerous stores in Chico, CA that sell wheelchair ramps. Lucky for you, they’re not too expensive, however you will need someone to put in it. However, make certain that you choose the wheelchair ramp incline you are comfy with. You do not need to have the angle to be too high because that is likely to produce the scale hard for you. An angle that is too low is not good either because it occupies too much space. I guess that the perfect wheelchair ramp slope is based on the individual and her or his body power. Just make sure you consider it once you buy your ramp.
Wheelchair covers are specially designed to keep your seat away from dust or additional elements. Maintenance is a significant aspect in regards to a wheelchair’s lifespan, and this is why you want to have all probable precautions to take good care of this. A wheelchair cover will do precisely that. It isn’t too expensive if that is what is on your head
Transport is still another significant aspect if you’re in a wheelchair. After all, you cannot reside in a one-mile radius for the rest of your life. Fortunately, you have plenty of alternatives. To begin with, you can use a bus. The car has a lifting system which can help you enter and exit the car. It’s quite convenient, and if such a vehicle is custom made (most of the times) and perhaps somewhat expensive, it will improve your mobility. And then let’s not forget about your sanity. If you stay isolated, then you are able to go through melancholy. A wheelchair van is likely to make possible for you to escape your comfort zone and interact more.
When traveling is what you’re into, you are able to pick a wheelchair RV. It has the exact same elevating system such as the bus van, however you may also reside in it while on your journey. I believe that for a handicapped individual, a wheelchair RV is the best way of transportation while on vacation.
Love your life
Surviving is not alive, so make sure you relish everything on your life. There are a great deal of ways of entertaining that you can try. You’re able to occupy a hobby or play a game. Did you know that you can play with dinner football? It resembles regular soccer, except that you’ll be transferring the ball on your wheels. You ought to consider it.
In case you do not like wheelchair soccer, then you always have the option to play some wheelchair basketball. Certainly there are wheelchair basketball clubs in Chico, CA, and those who attend such sports events normally have loads of fun. Who says that individual cannot be you. The purpose is that you can have fun no matter what state you’re in. All you need to do is search for means of entertainment for disabled individuals in Chico, CA, and surely your search will come up with a thing. Enjoy your life! It’s well worth living it.
Once you get accustomed to it, then a wheelchair will get a part of you. You are going to find out how to live your own life inside, and you’ll be more than nice. Nevertheless, ensure that you make an informed decision when you get a wheelchair. Also, do not forget about the accessories, and get yourself the very best wheelchair you can afford. After all, this is the freedom we’re discussing, and you deserve the very best.