While being stuck in a wheelchair, permanently or temporarily, isn’t a walk in the park, items do not have to stop for the person in question. It is still possible to live a relatively normal life, and we must admit that a wheelchair provides you a part of your independence back. It could have been worse when there were not wheelchairs in any respect. But lucky for some individuals, they exist, and they have the capacity of making your life more bearable. Additionally, as technology progressed, wheelchairs are becoming better and better at providing mobility and support, so let’s take a moment and be grateful for this.
Should you buy instead? Check the options below.
Wheelchair rental vs. purchase in Erie, PA
While there are lots of location in Erie, PA where you could rent a wheelchair, I’d recommend against it. There are a couple reasons for that you must buy rather than rent, and I am going to list some of them, merely to offer you a clearer picture.
- It is money from the window — paying rent for a seat in Erie, PA might not be a lot, but as soon as the figures add up, you are going to understand that purchasing one is a lot better. Wheelchair rental companies will charge you an amount of money at the start of your contract, and then you will need to pay a commission for every single day or week of usage, based on the company. Delivery and pick-up will be charged extra, so remember about that. The complete amount will be dependent on how much you use the chair. As a result, in the end of your contract, then you will end up with a enormous bill which will make you regret that you didn’t purchase a wheelchair in the first place. And if you purchase a wheelchair and you just take excellent care of it, you can sell it back at a affordable price. That’s if you don’t need it anymore. If you’re permanently disabled, wheelchair rental shouldn’t even be an alternative.
- Everything you need might not be accessible — as you can imagine, there are multiple kinds of wheelchairs, and your requirement may need a particular kind. On the other hand, the auto leasing firm might not have everything you need in stock, and so you are going to wind up in a chair which isn’t recommended for you. Your only option is to accept what it’s given, and which could be bad for you. However, if you purchase a new wheelchair, then you can choose exactly what you need, and everybody is happy. Bear in mind that your comfort and stability are your number one priority. It can prove to be inconvenient to settle for something that you do not require. By way of example, let us say that you will need a wheelchair with fixed armrests, however the leasing company does not have one in inventory. What should you do? Nothing, since you don’t have any options.
- You might get someone else’s broken wheelchair — do you think that wheelchair rental companies have new wheelchairs in inventory? No, some of them are damaged. Not severely, but they might have a twisted wheel or a rickety armrest. You might not want that? Is not it best should you buy a new chair and what is as it needs to be? I think it really is, and accepting someone’s leftovers isn’t fine, to say the very least.
- You may wake up with a few additional charges — when you lease a seat, the item is the responsibility, so in the event that you scrape it or cause some harm (no matter how little and insignificant,) you are going to cover it. You may lose your deposit or anything policy the automobile rental company has. The purpose is that accidents could happen, however, you shouldn’t live with that strain in mind
These are just a couple reasons why I think that wheelchair rental is poor to purchase, but definitely in the event you consider it, it is possible to come back with more.
Anyone who is on the lookout for a wheelchair in Erie, PA is worried about the price. The wheelchair cost is something that can ascertain whether you will buy a particular thing or not. 1 thing is for sure, however. Rates can vary from 80$ (the simple ones) to 12.000$ (the ones that can lift you up.) Everybody will pick based on funding, but quality is just as important as everybody else.
Many folks in Erie, PA prevent spending too much cash on a wheelchair. That’s unless they can easily manage it. But while you can find high quality wheelchairs that cost a few hundred dollars, spending over a million dollars may bring you multiple advantages like elevating footrests, or even an electric wheelchair that may help you get up this hill. The point is that the more you spend, the more advantages you can enjoy. After all, the wheelchair is your way to freedom. It’s not the second to be a cheapskate.
Many of you that are searching for the best wheelchair ought to be aware that weight is significant. The wheelchair weight can determine how easy you go around. Another aspect you need to consider is how much you are going to move. If you have work, as an example, you may have to move quite a lot, which means a heavy wheelchair will make that a little bit difficult for you, especially in case you plan on with no help.
The wheelchair weight is ordered by the materials used for the structure. Lucky for you, there are lightweight substances out there that can be as durable as possible. Take aluminum, for instance. It’s a hard metal, but very lightweight. Hybrids are also an option, but they are a bit costly. Alloys, on the other hand, are among the cheapest materials. Ultimately, the decision is yours, and you might base your decision depending upon your financial plan. However, remember that wheelchair weight is something that you should bear in mind before purchasing a specific item. In the end, you’re the person who is going to push it about all day long.
When you buy a wheelchair, then it’s also wise to think about the accessories you require for this. What it’s sure is that you will need a few things that will enhance your mobility, and let’s not forget about relaxation. With that in mind, here are the most common accessories you may need.
As a result from sitting in a wheelchair, you can suffer from pressure sores, skin ulcers, and lower back pain, tailbone pain, and a couple more. But a wheelchair cushion will change that. There are many versions you can buy, and if you Don’t Know what to Search for, then here are the choices:
- Foam cushions — they are the most commonly purchased since they are the cheapest. While routine foam is comparatively comfy, my advice is to go with memory foam if you’re searching for an affordable solution. High-density foams will keep their shape for more, they will take the shape of your entire body, and as far as comfort goes, you will enjoy lots. On the other hand, the disadvantage with cushioned cushions is that they wear pretty quickly, and you will need to buy a new one fairly soon.
- Gel cushions — Just as the name implies, a gel pillow is made up of foam base and a gel bladder in the center. People who have used gel and foam state that gel cushions are better for pressure sores, which is something that every wheelchair user wants. Additionally, gel is supposed to assist you with keeping a healthy position, and you will be pain-free in your lower spine and tailbone. On the other hand, exactly like anything else, there’s a disadvantage to this kind of cushions also. Gel bottoms-out, but kneading the pillow once daily may prevent that from happening anytime soon.
- Air flotation pillow — I assume you can imagine how this cushion works. There’s a balloon system which once inflated, it is going to provide the comfort you want. It is possible to correct the pressure factors if you would like, but keeping such a cushion may prove challenging. The same as any other balloon, then they can leak air.
- Urethane honeycomb — that is the best you can buy, but urethane honeycomb wheelchair cushions are quite pricey. The pillow is made from many individual cells which could provide excellent support. The air circulates within the pillow effortlessly, which disrupts the possibility of heat retention. As far as glider cushions move, urethane honeycomb is your best money can purchase.
Access factors are essential for someone who is bound to a wheelchair. You need you to get out and in the home, you require one in the office, and anywhere you go. Lucky for disabled individuals, it is the law to put in a wheelchair ramp in each public space. However, the one that you need at home has to be set up by you.
I am certain that you can discover a number of stores in Erie, PA that sell wheelchair ramps. Lucky for you, they are not so costly, however you will need someone to put in it. However, be sure that you select the wheelchair ramp slope you’re comfy with. You do not want the angle to be too high because that is likely to produce the climb tough for you. An angle that is too low isn’t good either because it occupies too much space. I guess that the perfect wheelchair ramp slope depends upon the individual and their body strength. Just remember to think about it once you purchase your ramp.
Wheelchair covers are designed to keep your seat away from dust or additional components. Maintenance is a significant aspect when it comes to a wheelchair’s lifespan, and that is why you need to take all probable precautions to take decent care of this. A wheelchair cover is going to do exactly that. It is not so expensive if that is what’s in your head
Transportation is still another substantial aspect if you are in a wheelchair. After all, you can’t reside at a one-mile radius for the remainder of your life. Luckily, you’ve got plenty of choices. To start with, you may use a wheelchair van. The car has a lifting system that will help you enter and exit the vehicle. It’s quite convenient, and if such a vehicle is custom made (most of the instances) and maybe a bit pricey, it is going to enhance your mobility. And then let’s not forget about your own sanity. In the event you stay isolated, then you can go through melancholy. A wheelchair van is likely to make possible for you to escape your comfort zone and then interact more.
Also, if you want to travel regardless of your handicap, you can use a wheelchair RV. It’s pretty much exactly the same since the automobile van, however instead of a car, you get an RV. You can travel anywhere you want, and you have the assistance you will need to have in and out of the vehicle. A wheelchair RV is most certainly the best means of traveling for a disabled individual.
Remember to live
Surviving is not living, so make sure you delight in everything on your life. You will find a great deal of ways of entertaining that you can test out. You can occupy a hobby or play a game. Did you know you could play wheelchair football? It resembles regular soccer, except that you will be moving the ball on your wheels. You ought to consider it.
If wheelchair football isn’t your cup of tea, it is possible to join a wheelchair basketball team. Certainly there are a few around Erie, PA. Their sports events are fun, and you’re able to enjoy yourself a terrific deal. And of course that you get to work out. Everything you need to bear in mind is that it is possible to keep yourself entertained. All you have to do is find some tasks for handicapped people in Erie, PA and combine.
Once you become accustomed to it, a wheelchair will get a part of you. You will find out how to live your own life inside, and you’ll be more than fine. Nevertheless, ensure that you make an informed choice when you purchase a wheelchair. In addition, do not forget about the accessories, and get the very best wheelchair you can afford. After all, this is your freedom we are referring to, and you deserve the best.