While being stuck in a wheelchair, either permanently or temporarily, isn’t a walk in the park, items do not have to end for the person in question. It is still possible to live a relatively normal life, and we have to acknowledge that a wheelchair gives you a portion of your independence back. It would have been worse when there were not wheelchairs at all. However, lucky for some folks, they exist, and they have the capacity of making your life more bearable. Additionally, as technology advanced, wheelchairs are becoming better and better at providing mobility and support, so let’s take a moment and be grateful for this.
Should you buy instead? Check the options below.
Wheelchair rental vs. purchase in Jacksonville, FL
While there are lots of place in Jacksonville, FL at which you are able to rent a wheelchair, I would counsel against it. There are a couple of reasons for which you need to buy instead of rent, and I will list a few of them, simply to give you a clearer picture.
- It is money from the window — paying rent for a seat in Jacksonville, FL might not be a lot, but as soon as the numbers accumulate, you are going to understand that purchasing one is a great deal better. Wheelchair rental companies will charge you an amount of money at the start of your contract, and you’ll have to pay a commission for every single day or week of use, depending on the business. Delivery and pickup will be billed extra, so remember about that. The entire amount will depend on just how much you use the chair. Consequently, in the conclusion of your contract, then you are likely to end up with a huge bill which will make you regret that you didn’t get a wheelchair at the first location. And should you purchase a wheelchair and you also take very good care of this, you can sell it back at a sensible price. That’s if you do not need it anymore. If you are permanently disabled, automobile leasing shouldn’t even be an option.
- Everything you need may not be accessible — as you can imagine, there are multiple types of wheelchairs, and your requirement may demand a specific kind. However, the auto rental company might not have what you need in stock, which means you will end up in a seat that isn’t suggested for you. Your only alternative is to accept what it is given, and that could possibly be awful for you. However, should you get a new wheelchair, you can select precisely what you need, and everyone is happy. Bear in mind that your comfort and stability would be the number one priority. It can end up being inconvenient to settle for something you do not require. For example, let’s say that you want a wheelchair with fixed armrests, however, the rental company does not have one in stock. What should you really do? Nothing, since you don’t have any options.
- You won’t receive a brand new wheelchair — wheelchair rental companies provide chairs for everyone, so if anyone breaks one, it will be ‘adjusted’ and put back in stock. However, some damages cannot be undone, and you may wake up with a damaged chair. It may not be severe, but a bent wheel can be quite inconvenient. You do not want for this, do you? A new seat has its integrity intact, and that’s what you should want for. After all, using something that somebody else broke shouldn’t be an option for you.
- You may wake up with a few additional charges — if you rent a seat, the product is the responsibility, so if you scratch it or cause some damage (regardless of how little and insignificant,) you will cover it. You might lose your deposit or whatever coverage the wheelchair rental company has. The point is that accidents can happen, but you shouldn’t live with that stress on your mind.
These are simply a few reasons why I believe that wheelchair leasing is inferior to buy, but surely in the event that you think about it, it is possible to return with more.
Budgeting is a component of everybody’s life, and wheelchair price is a very important aspect if you purchase one. I do not understand what would be the wheelchair costs in Jacksonville, FL, but they can start from 80$ (low-end) and achieve as large as 12.000$, which means very top of the lineup and have all types of features. While cost is important, do not forget to add quality in the equation. I am aware that you may reside on a budget, however, relaxation is more significant in this case.
Most people, not just the ones at Jacksonville, FL, don’t like to spend large quantities of money on a wheelchair. Yes, there are people who is able to get an extremely expensive wheelchair, but this is past the point. Nevertheless, you’ll get some affordable products that are of high quality. And by cheap I suggest a few hundreds of dollars. On the flip side, a wheelchair above 1000$ can have amazing attributes such as elevating footrests and whatnot. At that cost, even electrical wheelchairs are an option. The main idea is not to think just of wheelchair cost, but your comfort and freedom also. Bear in mind that a wheelchair is supposed to give back your freedom. It’s not the opportunity to go in market mode.
Wheelchair weight is much more significant than you believe. It will influence your freedom considerably. The purpose of a wheelchair is to move about effortlessly. In case you opt for a heavy wheelchair, that isn’t about to occur, can it be? If you have a job, or you like to maneuver around the neighborhood a good deal, you want a wheelchair that is lightweight, particularly if you have no one to push one.
The wheelchair weight is dictated by the materials used for the construction. Lucky for you, you will find lightweight substances out there which can be as sturdy as possible. Require aluminum, for instance. It’s a hard metal, but really lightweight. Hybrids are also an alternative, but they are somewhat pricey. Alloys, on the other hand, are among the least expensive materials. Finally, the choice is yours, and you might base your decision based on your budget. But remember that wheelchair weight is something that you need to keep in mind prior to purchasing a specific product. After all, you’re the one who will push it about all day long.
when you purchase a wheelchair, then you should also consider the accessories you require for this. What it’s sure is that you simply will need a couple of things that will enhance your freedom, and let’s not forget about relaxation. With that in mind, here are the most frequent accessories you may require.
Sitting in a wheelchair all day long can cause pressure sores, skin disorders, bad posture, and far more. You need your back and tailbone to become more pliable, which is precisely why a wheelchair pillow is more than necessary. You can pick from a vast assortment of wheelchair cushions, but if you don’t know which kind to pick, here are a couple of bit of information you need to know:
- Foam cushions — Foam is the most common material used in wheelchair cushions. It’s most likely because foam is significantly cheaper than other substances. But, high-density foam is better than regular foam. I suppose you’ve heard about memory foam. It offers maximum comfort, it is going to help with pressure sores, and it takes the form of the physique. Nevertheless, foam cushions are prone to wear and tear much faster than other materials. They do not last very long, particularly if they are in use every day.
- Gel cushions — Just as its name implies, a gel cushion is made up of foam base and a gel bladder at the center. Those who have used gel and foam state that gel cushions are far better for pressure sores, and it is something that each and every wheelchair user needs. Additionally, gel is supposed to assist you with keeping a wholesome posture, and you’ll be pain-free on your lower back and tailbone. On the other hand, just like anything else, there is a disadvantage to this sort of cushions also. Gel bottoms-out, but kneading the pillow once per day may prevent that from happening anytime soon.
- Air flotation cushion — I guess you can guess how this pillow works. There is a balloon method that after inflated, it will provide the comfort you want. It’s possible to adjust the pressure points if you would like, but keeping such a cushion may prove challenging. The same as any other balloon, they can escape air.
- Urethane honeycomb — Last but not least, urethane honeycomb is the most recent technology in wheelchair cushions. That is because that a urethane honeycomb pillow consists of numerous individual cells. As for support and comfort, this kind is fantastic. Additionally, the air can circulate freely between the cells, which means that warmth retention is hopeless. Because of all those features, and because there are not any drawbacks whatsoever, this kind of cushion has become the most expensive of all of them.
Access factors are critical for someone who is bound to a wheelchair. You need you to get outside and within the house, you need one in the office, and anywhere you go. Lucky for handicapped individuals, it is the law to install a wheelchair ramp in each public area. On the other hand, the one that you want at home has to be set up by you.
I am certain that you could discover many stores in Jacksonville, FL which market wheelchair ramps. Lucky for you, they are not so costly, but you will need someone to put in it. Nonetheless, make sure that you choose the wheelchair ramp incline you are comfortable with. You don’t need to have the angle to be too high since that will make the climb tough for you. An angle that’s too low is not good either since it occupies too much space. I guess that the perfect wheelchair ramp slope is contingent upon the individual and her or his body power. Just remember to consider it if you purchase your ramp.
Wheelchair covers are specially designed to keep your chair away from dust or any additional elements. Maintenance is a substantial aspect when it comes to a wheelchair’s life span, and that explains why you want to take all possible precautions to take good care of it. A wheelchair cover will do precisely that. It is not so expensive if that is what’s in your mind.
The ability to move from point A to point B is still another important facet. Just because you are in a wheelchair doesn’t necessarily mean you could move only around your house or neighborhood. Lucky for you, there are a few things that you may try. For starters, you may use a wheelchair van. It’s an elevating system which may make entering and exiting the car relatively straightforward. Such a vehicle may be a bit pricey, but it is going to assist you with your mobility on long distances. It’s possible to go out and interact more. It will keep you away from depression.
When traveling is what you’re into, you are able to select a wheelchair RV. It has the exact same elevating system like the bus van, but you could also reside in it while on your journey. I think that to get a handicapped person, a wheelchair RV is your best way of transportation while on vacation.
Enjoy your lifetime
While I am aware that it’s hard to live in a wheelchair that does not mean that your life is finished. You can do plenty of other items to keep yourself amused, and you may still be a productive member of society. It is possible to always have hobbies and whatnot. As an instance, you may play wheelchair football, which is very popular nowadays. It is pretty similar to regular soccer, but instead of running after the autumn, you chase it while still on wheels. Wheelchair soccer is definitely something you should consider.
If wheelchair football is not your cup of java, you can combine a wheelchair basketball team. Surely you will find a few around Jacksonville, FL. Their sport events are fun, and you’ll be able to enjoy yourself a great deal. Not to mention that you get to exercise. What you need to keep in mind is that you’re able to keep yourself entertained. All you have to do is find several activities for handicapped people in Jacksonville, FL and then join.
Wheelchairs are not complex, and after getting the hang of your chair, it is going to become like an extension of your body. However, keep in mind these things: prevent automobile leasing, compare the costs, and head the wheelchair weightreduction. At exactly the exact same time, do not forget about the glider accessories, and find yourself an excellent way of transportation. And as always, be sure to enjoy each and every day of your life. If you cannot change anything, then you should be wise enough to take it and make the best of it. You will be happier for this. That I can promise.