While being stuck in a wheelchair, permanently or temporarily, is not a stroll in the park, things do not have to end for the person in question. You can still live a relatively normal life, and we must acknowledge that a wheelchair provides you a component of your independence back. It might have been worse if there were not wheelchairs whatsoever. But lucky for many people, they exist, and they have the capacity of creating your life more bearable. Additionally, as technology progressed, wheelchairs have become better and better in providing support and mobility, so let’s take a minute and be grateful for it.
Should you buy instead? Check the options below.
Wheelchair rental vs. purchase in Lakewood, CA
While there are lots of location in Lakewood, CA where you are able to rent a wheelchair, I would counsel against it. There are a couple reasons for that you must buy rather than rent, and I will list a few of them, merely to give you a clearer picture.
- It’s money from the window — paying rent for a chair in Lakewood, CA might not be much, but as soon as the numbers accumulate, you are going to realize that buying one is a whole lot better. Wheelchair rental companies will charge you an quantity of money at the commencement of your contract, and you will need to pay a commission for each and every day or a week of use, based on the business. Delivery and pick-up will be charged extra, so remember about that. The total amount will be dependent on how far you use the chair. Because of this, at the conclusion of your contract, you will end up with a enormous bill that will make you regret that you did not purchase a wheelchair at the first location. And should you purchase a wheelchair and you just take very good care of this, you may sell it back at a sensible price. That’s if you don’t need it anymore. If you’re permanently disabled, wheelchair rental shouldn’t even be an option.
- What you need might not be accessible — as you can imagine, there are numerous kinds of wheelchairs, along with your condition may demand a specific kind. However, the wheelchair leasing company may not have what you need in stock, so you are going to wind up in a seat that isn’t suggested for you. Your only alternative is to take what it’s given, and that might be awful for you. But should you purchase a new wheelchair, then you can choose exactly what you need, and everyone is happy. Bear in mind that your relaxation and stability would be your number one priority. It may end up being inconvenient to settle for something that you don’t require. By way of instance, let’s say that you want a wheelchair using fixed armrests, but the leasing company doesn’t have one in stock. What should you do? Nothing, since you have no options.
- You won’t get a brand new wheelchair — wheelchair rental businesses provide chairs for everybody, so if anybody breaks you, it is going to be ‘fixed’ and place back in inventory. But some damages can’t be undone, and you might wake up having a damaged chair. It might not be serious, however a bent wheel can be very inconvenient. You do not wish for that, do you? A new seat comes with its integrity intact, and that is what you need to want for. In the end, using something that someone else broke shouldn’t be an alternative for you.
- You might wake up with some extra fees — when you rent a chair, the item is the duty, so in the event you scratch it or cause some damage (regardless of how small and insignificant,) you are going to pay for it. You may lose your deposit or anything that coverage the automobile rental firm has. The purpose is that accidents could occur, however, you shouldn’t live with that stress in mind
These are only a couple reasons why I believe that wheelchair leasing is inferior to purchase, but certainly in the event you think about it, you can return with more.
Budgeting is a component of everybody’s life, and also wheelchair price is an essential aspect if you buy one. I do not understand what would be the wheelchair costs in Lakewood, CA, but they are able to start from 80$ (low-end) and achieve as high as 12.000percent, meaning top of the line and have all types of features. While cost is important, remember to add quality from the equation. I am aware that you may reside on a budget, but comfort is more important in this instance.
Many folks in Lakewood, CA prevent spending too much money on a wheelchair. That’s unless they are easily able to afford it. But while there are high quality wheelchairs that cost a couple hundred dollars, spending more than a thousand bucks can bring you multiple advantages including simplifying footrests, or even an electric wheelchair that is able to enable you to get up this mountain. The point is that the longer you invest, the more advantages you’ll be able to enjoy. After all, the wheelchair is your way to liberty. It’s not the moment to be a cheapskate.
Lots of you who are looking for the very best wheelchair ought to know that weight is important. The wheelchair weight will determine how simple you move around. Another factor you need to think about is how much you are likely to move. When you have a job, as an example, you might have to move quite a lot, meaning a thick wheelchair will make that a little bit difficult for you, especially in the event that you plan on with no assistance.
The wheelchair weight is dictated by the materials used for the construction. Lucky for you, there are lightweight materials out there which can be as sturdy as possible. Require aluminum, for instance. It’s a hard metal, but really lightweight. Hybrids are also an alternative, but they’re somewhat pricey. Alloys, on the other hand, are one of the cheapest materials. In the end, the choice is yours, and you might base your choice based upon your budget. However, remember that wheelchair weight is something that you need to keep in mind before purchasing a particular item. After all, you are the one who will push it about all day long.
Wheelchair accessories are made for your comfort and advantage. There are a couple things that you can buy with your own wheelchair, and here are the most frequently employed.
As a consequence from sitting in a wheelchair, you can suffer from pressure sores, skin ulcers, reduce back pain, tailbone pain, plus a few more. However, a wheelchair pillow will change that. There are many versions you Can Purchase, and if you Don’t Know what to Search for, then here are the choices:
- Foam cushions — they are the most commonly bought because they’re the cheapest. While routine foam is comparatively comfortable, my advice is to proceed with memory foam if you are looking for an affordable solution. High-density foams will keep their shape for more, they will take the shape of your entire body, and as far as comfort goes, you will enjoy plenty. However, the disadvantage with foam wheelchair cushions is that they wear fairly fast, and you will need to buy a new one fairly soon.
- Gel cushions — Just as the name implies, a gel pillow is made up of foam base and a gel bladder in the center. People who have used gel and foam say that gel cushions are far better for pressure sores, which can be something that every wheelchair user needs. Additionally, gel is intended to assist you with keeping a healthy posture, and you will be pain-free on your lower back and tailbone. On the other hand, exactly like anything else, there’s a drawback to this kind of cushions too. Gel bottoms-out, but kneading the pillow once daily can prevent that from occurring anytime soon.
- Air flotation cushion — I guess you can guess how this cushion works. There’s a balloon system that once inflated, it will offer the comfort you want. You’re able to adjust the pressure factors if you would like, but keeping such a pillow may prove hard. The same as any other balloon, then they can leak air.
- Urethane honeycomb — that is the best you can get, however urethane honeycomb wheelchair cushions are rather pricey. The pillow is made of many individual cells that could offer exceptional support. The air circulates within the cushion with ease, which heightens the possibility of heat retention. As far as wheelchair cushions move, urethane honeycomb will be the best money can buy.
Access factors are critical for a person who’s bound to a wheelchair. You need you to get outside and within the house, you require one in the office, and everywhere you go. Lucky for handicapped folks, it’s the law to install a wheelchair ramp in each public area. However, the one which you want at home has to be installed by you.
Surely you can discover ramps in Lakewood, CA, and truth be told, they aren’t too costly. However, you will need a person to put in it for you since I don’t think you can handle it yourself. One aspect you need to be careful about is the wheelchair ramp slope. You would like it to be comfortable for you to use. If the angle is too high, that could be hard for you to go up, and a very low angle requires quite the distance for the ramp, which again, it is not suitable. Putting a wheelchair ramp incline is simple, and you need to purchase a ramp so.
Wheelchair covers are specially made to help keep your chair away from dust or other components. Maintenance is a considerable aspect when it comes to a wheelchair’s life span, and that is why you need to take all possible precautions to take decent care of this. A wheelchair cover is going to do precisely that. It is not too expensive if that’s what is on your mind.
Transport is just another substantial aspect if you’re in a wheelchair. In the end, you can’t reside at a one-mile radius for the rest of your life. Luckily, you have plenty of alternatives. First of all, you can use a wheelchair van. The car is equipped with a lifting system that will allow you to enter and exit your car. It is extremely convenient, and while this kind of vehicle is custom made (most of the times) and perhaps somewhat pricey, it will improve your mobility. And let’s not forget on your own sanity. In the event you stay isolated, you are able to go through melancholy. A wheelchair van is likely to make possible for you to get out of your comfort zone and then interact more.
Also, if you prefer to travel regardless of your handicap, you may use a wheelchair RV. It is pretty much exactly the same since the automobile van, but rather than a car, you receive an RV. You may travel anywhere you need, and you get the help you need to have in and outside of their vehicle. A wheelchair RV is definitely the best means of traveling for a disabled person.
Love your life
While I know it is tough to live in a wheelchair that doesn’t mean that your life is finished. You can do lots of other items to keep yourself amused, and you may still be a productive member of society. You can always have hobbies and whatnot. As an example, you can play wheelchair football, that is extremely popular these days. It’s pretty similar to regular football, but rather than running after the fall, you chase it while on wheels. Wheelchair soccer is definitely something you should think about.
In case you don’t like wheelchair football, you can always play a few wheelchair basketball. Certainly you can find wheelchair basketball teams at Lakewood, CA, and those who attend these sports events usually have loads of fun. Who says that person can’t be you. The purpose is that you are able to have fun regardless of what state you are in. All you have to do is seek out ways of entertainment for disabled people in Lakewood, CA, and surely your hunt will come up with some thing. Enjoy your life! It’s worth living it.
Wheelchairs are not complicated, and after getting the hang of your chair, it will become like an extension of the body. But, keep in mind these things: prevent automobile leasing, compare the costs, and head the wheelchair weight. At the identical time, do not forget about the wheelchair accessories, and find yourself an excellent way of transportation. As always, be sure to enjoy every single day of your life. If you cannot change something, then you need to be smart enough to take it and make the best of this. You’ll be happier for this. That I can guarantee.