While being stuck in a wheelchair, permanently or temporarily, isn’t a stroll in the park, items do not need to finish for the person in question. It is still possible to live a relatively normal life, and we have to acknowledge that a wheelchair provides you a portion of your independence back. It would have been worse when there weren’t wheelchairs whatsoever. But lucky for many people, they exist, and they have the potential of making your life more bearable. Moreover, as technology progressed, wheelchairs are becoming better and better in providing freedom and support, so let’s take a minute and be thankful for that.
Should you buy instead? Check the options below.
Wheelchair rental vs. purchase in San Marcos, TX
Even though there are lots of place in San Marcos, TX where you are able to rent a wheelchair, I would counsel against it. There are a couple of reasons for that you should buy instead of rent, and I am going to record some of them, merely to give you a clearer image.
- It’s money from the window — paying rent for a chair in San Marcos, TX might not be much, but when the numbers add up, you are going to realize that buying one is a good deal better. Wheelchair rental companies will charge you an amount of money at the start of your contract, and then you’ll have to pay a commission for every day or a week of usage, depending on the business. Delivery and pickup will be charged extra, so remember about that. The complete amount will depend on just how much you use the seat. Because of this, in the end of your contract, then you will end up with a enormous bill which will make you regret that you didn’t purchase a wheelchair at the first location. And should you purchase a wheelchair and you also just take great care of it, you may sell it back at a fair price. That is if you do not need it anymore. If you’re permanently disabled, automobile leasing shouldn’t even be an option.
- What you need might not be available — because you can imagine, there are many kinds of wheelchairs, and your condition may demand a specific kind. However, the wheelchair leasing company may not have what you need in stock, so you are going to end up in a chair which is not recommended for you. Your only choice is to take what it is given, and which might be bad for you. However, if you get a new wheelchair, you can select precisely what you require, and everyone is happy. Keep in mind that your relaxation and stability are the number one priority. It may end up being inconvenient to settle for something that you do not need. For example, let’s say that you want a wheelchair with fixed armrests, however the leasing company does not have one in stock. What do you do? Nothing, because you don’t have any options.
- You might get someone else’s broken wheelchair — do you believe that wheelchair rental businesses have brand new wheelchairs in stock? No, a number of them are damaged. Not severely, but they may have a twisted wheel or even a rickety armrest. Do you really want that? Is not it best should you get a new chair and what is as it should be? I believe it really is, and taking someone’s leftovers isn’t agreeable, to say the least.
- You might wake up with some extra fees — if you rent a chair, the product is your responsibility, so if you scratch it or cause some damage (regardless of how little and insignificant,) you are going to pay for it. You might lose your deposit or anything policy the wheelchair rental firm has. The point is that accidents can happen, however, you shouldn’t live with this strain on mind
The reasons mentioned previously are just the tip of the iceberg, and surely there are more. That is why I think it’s best if you purchase a wheelchair and forget everything about wheelchair rental.
Anyone who is on the lookout for a wheelchair in San Marcos, TX is worried about the purchase price. The wheelchair price is something that may determine whether you may purchase a particular item or not. 1 thing is for sure, however. Prices can vary from 80$ (the simple ones) to 12.000$ (the ones who may lift you up.) Everyone will pick according to funding, but quality is just as important as everybody else.
Most people, not only the ones in San Marcos, TX, don’t like to devote considerable amounts of money on a wheelchair. Yes, there are people who is able to get an extremely expensive wheelchair, but this is beyond the point. Nevertheless, you’ll get some inexpensive products that are of top quality. And by cheap I suggest that a few hundreds of dollars. On the flip side, a wheelchair over 1000$ could have amazing features like elevating footrests and whatnot. At that cost, even electric wheelchairs are an option. The principal idea is to not think just of wheelchair cost, but your comfort and freedom as well. Keep in mind that a wheelchair is intended to give back your liberty. It is not the opportunity to really go in market mode.
Shed weight is more important than you might imagine. It will have an effect on your freedom considerably. The purpose of a wheelchair is to move around with ease. If you go for a heavy wheelchair, that isn’t going to occur, can it be? When you have a job, or you want to maneuver around the neighborhood a lot, you want a wheelchair that is lightweight, particularly in the event you have no one to push you.
The wheelchair weight is ordered by the materials used for the structure. Lucky for you, you can find lightweight substances out there which may be as durable as possible. Require aluminum, for example. It is a hard metal, but very lightweight. Hybrids are also an option, but they are somewhat pricey. Alloys, on the other hand, are one of the cheapest materials. Finally, the decision is yours, and you might base your choice based upon your budget. But remember that wheelchair weight is something that you need to keep in mind prior to purchasing a particular product. In the end, you are the person who will push it about all day long.
When you buy a wheelchair, then it’s also wise to consider the accessories you require for it. What it’s sure is that you want a couple of things that will enhance your mobility, and let’s not forget about comfort. Bearing that in mind, here are the most usual accessories you may require.
As a result from sitting in a wheelchair, you can suffer with pressure sores, skin ulcers, reduce back pain, tailbone pain, and a few more. However, a wheelchair cushion will change that. There are many versions you can buy, and if you do not know what to look for, here are your choices:
- Foam cushions — they are the most frequently purchased since they’re the least expensive. While routine foam is relatively comfortable, my advice is to go with memory foam if you’re searching for a reasonable solution. High-density foams will keep their shape for longer, they will choose the shape of your entire body, and as much as comfort goes, you’ll enjoy lots. However, the disadvantage with foam wheelchair cushions is that they wear fairly quickly, and you’ll have to buy a new one fairly soon.
- Gel cushions — gel cushions still have a foam base, but there is gel bladder somewhere in the center that will avoid pressure sores better than polyurethane. A whole lot of individuals purchase this and announce themselves fulfilled. They can help you with your position, and you won’t experience pain in your lower spine and tailbone. The disadvantage with this kind is that they have a tendency to bottom-out. The answer to this would be to knead it at least one time per day.
- Air flotation cushion — If you don’t understand what’s, allow me to enlighten you. An air flotation cushion is composed of a certain number of balloons that match to keep you in a comfortable and wholesome position. You’ve got the prospect of adjusting the stress points by tying a few balloons to prevent them from inflating. The only downside of the form of cushions is maintenance. After all, we are talking about balloons. They can leak air, and you need to fix that if and when it happens.
- Urethane honeycomb — this is the best that you can buy, however, urethane honeycomb futon cushions are quite pricey. The pillow is made of many individual cells which could offer exceptional support. The air circulates inside the cushion effortlessly, which excludes the possibility of heat retention. So far as wheelchair cushions move, urethane honeycomb is your best money can purchase.
Only somebody who is bound to a wheelchair may understand the importance of a wheelchair ramp. The absence of accessibility is a true obstacle for a handicapped individual, which is why it is a good thing that all public spaces are bound by law to install wheelchair ramps. Nevertheless, you need to install one in your house also.
I am positive that you could find several shops in San Marcos, TX which market wheelchair ramps. Lucky for you, they are not so expensive, but you need someone to put in it. However, make certain that you decide on the wheelchair ramp slope you are comfortable with. You don’t need to have the angle to be too high since that will produce the climb hard for you. An angle that is too low isn’t good either since it occupies too much space. I guess that the perfect wheelchair ramp slope is dependent on the person and his or her body strength. Just remember to consider it when you purchase your ramp.
Storing your wheelchair properly is one of those matters you must be conscious of. The greater you maintain the seat, the more durable it’ll be. If you don’t use it, then make sure that the wheelchair is kept in a dry and clean place. However, you may always get a wheelchair cover to assist with that. It’s not costly, and it’ll continue to keep your chair clean.
Transport is just another substantial aspect if you’re in a wheelchair. After all, you cannot reside in a one-mile radius for the remainder of your life. Luckily, you’ve got a lot of alternatives. To start with, you can use a bus. The car is equipped with a lifting system that will allow you to enter and exit your car. It is extremely convenient, and while such a car is custom made (all the times) and maybe somewhat pricey, it is going to improve your mobility. And let’s not forget about your own sanity. If you stay isolated, you are able to go through melancholy. A wheelchair van will make possible that you get out of your comfort zone and interact more.
If traveling is what you are into, you can pick a wheelchair RV. It has the exact same elevating system such as the wheelchair van, however you can also reside in it while on your journey. I feel that to get a handicapped person, a wheelchair RV is your best method of transport while on vacation.
Love your lifetime
While I know it is a challenge to live in a wheelchair that doesn’t mean your life is finished. You can do lots of other items to keep yourself amused, and you can still be a successful member of society. You can always have hobbies and whatnot. As an instance, you may play wheelchair football, that is very popular nowadays. It’s pretty much like regular soccer, but instead of running after the fall, you pursue it while on wheels. Wheelchair soccer is definitely something you need to think about.
If futon soccer is not your cup of java, you can join a wheelchair soccer team. Certainly you will find a few around San Marcos, TX. Their sport events are enjoyable, and you’re able to appreciate yourself a wonderful deal. And of course that you get to exercise. Everything you will need to remember is that you can keep yourself entertained. All You Need to do is find several activities for disabled people in San Marcos, TX and then combine.
Once you get accustomed to it, a wheelchair will become a part of you. You will discover how to live your life inside, and you’ll be more than fine. Nevertheless, make sure that you make an educated decision when you buy a wheelchair. In addition, do not forget about the accessories, and get your self the best wheelchair you are able to spend. After all, this can be the mobility we are talking about, and you deserve the very best.