While being stuck in a wheelchair, either permanently or temporarily, is not a stroll in the park, things do not need to finish for the individual in question. You’re still able to live a relatively normal life, and we have to acknowledge that a wheelchair gives you a portion of your liberty back. It would have been worse when there weren’t wheelchairs whatsoever. But lucky for some folks, they exist, and they have the capacity of making your life more bearable. Additionally, as technology advanced, wheelchairs are becoming better and better at providing independence and support, so let us take a minute and be thankful for that.
Should you buy instead? Check the options below.
Wheelchair rental vs. purchase in Santa Cruz, CA
Certainly there are sufficient locations in Santa Cruz, CA from where you are able to rent a wheelchair. But, I do not believe that’s the best thought. It’s best to buy a wheelchair for a lot of factors. If you do not know what I am referring to, here are a couple reasons why wheelchair rental is poor to purchasing one
- It is money from the window — paying rent for a seat in Santa Cruz, CA might not be much, but as soon as the numbers add up, you are going to understand that purchasing one is a lot better. Wheelchair rental companies will charge you an amount of money at the beginning of your contract, and after that you will need to pay a commission for each day or week of use, depending on the business. Delivery and pick-up will be charged extra, so remember about that. The entire amount will be dependent on just how far you use the chair. As a result, in the end of your contract, then you are likely to get a huge bill which will make you regret that you did not purchase a wheelchair in the first place. And if you buy a wheelchair and you just take excellent care of it, you can sell it back at a reasonable price. That’s if you do not need it anymore. If you are permanently disabled, wheelchair rental should not even be an option.
- You might not get what you want — there is more than one type of wheelchairs, and you might require a particular model. Let’s say that you need one with foot rests, however, the ones which are available for lease will not provide exactly what you require. Do not settle and proceed with what you find. It is best if you listen to your physician and purchase precisely what you need. Settling can cause additional inconvenience, and the aim is to get out of that chair when possible. If eliminating the chair is not a potential, then you want to devote your days at a seat that offers maximum stability and comfort. Otherwise, you wouldn’t purchase a wheelchair at the first location.
- You might get somebody else’s broken wheelchair — do you believe that wheelchair rental businesses have fresh wheelchairs in inventory? No, some of them are damaged. Perhaps not severely, but they might have a twisted wheel or a rickety armrest. You might not want that? Is not it best should you get a new seat and everything is as it needs to be? I believe it really is, and accepting a person’s leftovers isn’t pleasant, to say the least.
- You may lose your deposit — when you choose wheelchair rental, you can lose your deposit in the smallest scratch. Accidents occur, and should they do using a leased seat, you’ll have to pay for it one way or another. Who wants that stress?
The reasons mentioned previously are only the tip of this iceberg, and surely you’ll find more. That is why I believe it’s best if you buy a wheelchair and forget everything about auto rental.
Budgeting is a part of everyone’s life, and also wheelchair price is a very important aspect if you buy one. I don’t understand what are the wheelchair costs in Santa Cruz, CA, but they are able to start from 80$ (low-end) and reach as high as 12.000$, meaning top of the lineup and have all sorts of attributes. While price is important, do not forget to add quality from the equation. I am aware that you may reside on a budget, however, comfort is more significant in this situation.
Most individuals, not just the ones in Santa Cruz, CA, don’t like to devote large quantities of money to get a wheelchair. Yes, there are individuals who can afford to purchase an extremely costly wheelchair, but this is beyond the point. Even so, you can discover some affordable products that are of high quality. And by cheap I suggest a few hundreds of dollars. On the other hand, a wheelchair above 1000$ can have amazing attributes such as elevating footrests and whatnot. At the price, even electric wheelchairs are an option. The major idea is not to think just of wheelchair price, but also your comfort and freedom also. Keep in mind that a wheelchair is supposed to give back your freedom. It’s not the time to go in market mode.
Many of you who are searching for the best wheelchair ought to be aware that weight is significant. The wheelchair weight can determine how simple you move around. Another factor you will need to consider is how far you’re going to move. If you have a job, for example, you may have to move quite a lot, which means a heavy wheelchair will make that a little bit hard for you, especially if you intend on having no aid.
The wheelchair weight is dictated by the materials used for the structure. Lucky for you, you can find lightweight materials out there which may be as sturdy as possible. Take aluminum, for instance. It’s a hard metal, but really lightweight. Hybrids are also an alternative, but they’re somewhat costly. Alloys, on the other hand, are among the cheapest materials. Finally, the decision is yours, and you may base your choice based on your financial plan. However, do not forget that wheelchair weight is something that you need to keep in mind before purchasing a particular item. After all, you are the person who will push it about all day long.
Wheelchair accessories have been made for your comfort and convenience. There are a couple things that you can purchase with your own wheelchair, and this are the most commonly used.
Sitting in a cubicle all day long may cause pressure sores, skin disorders, poor posture, and a whole lot more. You want your back and tailbone to be pain-free, which is exactly why a wheelchair cushion is much more than necessary. You can choose from a huge selection of cocktail lounges, but if you don’t know which kind to pick, here are a few bit of advice you need to understand:
- Foam cushions — they’re the most commonly bought since they are the cheapest. While regular foam is comparatively comfy, my advice is to proceed with memory foam if you’re searching for an affordable solution. High-density foams will continue to keep their shape for longer, they will choose the shape of your body, and so far as comfort goes, you will enjoy plenty. On the other hand, the disadvantage with foam wheelchair cushions is that they wear pretty fast, and you’ll need to purchase a new one fairly soon.
- Gel cushions — gel cushions still have a foam base, but there is gel bladder somewhere in the middle that will prevent pressure sores better than foam. A great deal of individuals buy this and admit themselves fulfilled. They will be able to assist you with your posture, and you won’t experience pain in your lower back and tailbone. The disadvantage with this type is that they tend to bottom-out. The answer to this is to knead it at least once a day.
- Air flotation pillow — I suppose you can imagine how this cushion works. There is a balloon method that once inflated, it is going to provide the comfort you need. It is possible to correct the pressure factors if you want, but maintaining such a cushion may prove challenging. The same as any other balloon, they can leak air.
- Urethane honeycomb — that is the best you can buy, but urethane honeycomb wheelchair cushions are very pricey. The pillow is made from many individual cells that may offer excellent support. The air circulates within the cushion without difficulty, which heightens the chance of heat retention. As far as glider cushions move, urethane honeycomb will be your best money can buy.
Only someone who’s bound to a wheelchair may comprehend the importance of a wheelchair ramp. The absence of access is a real obstacle for a disabled person, which explains the reason why it is a good thing that all public spaces are bound by law to install wheelchair ramps. Nevertheless, you have to install one at your home also.
I am certain that you could find many shops in Santa Cruz, CA which sell wheelchair ramps. Lucky for you, they’re not too pricey, however you need someone to put in it. Nevertheless, make sure that you decide on the wheelchair ramp incline you are familiar with. You do not want the angle to be too high since that will produce the scale tough for you. An angle that is too low isn’t good either since it occupies too much space. I guess that the ideal wheelchair ramp slope is contingent on the individual and her or his body power. Just make sure you think about it if you purchase your ramp.
Wheelchair covers are designed to help keep your seat away from dust or other elements. Maintenance is a significant aspect when it comes to a wheelchair’s life span, and this is the reason you need to have all possible precautions to take good care of this. A wheelchair cover is going to do precisely that. It isn’t too expensive if that is what’s in your mind.
Transport is still another significant aspect if you are in a wheelchair. After all, you can’t live in a one-mile radius for the remainder of your life. Luckily, you’ve got plenty of choices. To start with, you may use a bus. The automobile has a lifting system that can help you enter and exit the vehicle. It’s extremely convenient, and if this kind of vehicle is custom made (all the times) and maybe somewhat expensive, it is going to improve your mobility. And then let’s not forget about your own sanity. In the event you remain isolated, then you are able to go through depression. A wheelchair van is likely to make possible for you to get out of your comfort zone and then socialize more.
When travel is what you are into, you can select a wheelchair RV. It has the exact same elevating system such as the wheelchair van, however you could also live in it while on your trip. I think that to get a disabled person, a wheelchair RV is your best way of transport while on vacation.
Love your lifetime
Surviving is not living, so make sure you relish everything on your daily life. You will find tons of ways of entertaining you can try. It’s possible to occupy a hobby or play a sport. Were you aware that you can play wheelchair football? It resembles regular football, except that you’ll be transferring the ball on your brakes. You ought to consider it.
In case you don’t like wheelchair soccer, then you can always play a few wheelchair basketball. Surely you can find wheelchair basketball teams in Santa Cruz, CA, and also individuals who attend these sports events usually have plenty of fun. Who says that person can’t be you. The purpose is that you are able to have fun no matter which state you’re in. All you need to do is search for ways of entertainment for handicapped folks in Santa Cruz, CA, and surely your hunt will come up with a thing. Enjoy your life! It’s worth living it.
Once you get accustomed to it, then a wheelchair will become a part of you. You are going to discover how to live your own life inside, and you will be more than nice. Nonetheless, ensure that you make an educated choice when you purchase a wheelchair. Also, do not forget about the accessories, and buy yourself the ideal wheelchair you are able to spend. After all, this can be your mobility we’re talking about, and you deserve the very best.