While being stuck in a wheelchair, either temporarily or permanently, is not a walk in the park, things don’t have to finish for the individual in question. It is still possible to live a relatively normal life, and we have to acknowledge that a wheelchair provides you a part of your independence back. It would have been worse when there were not wheelchairs in any way. However, lucky for many folks, they exist, and they have the capacity of making your life more bearable. Moreover, as technology advanced, wheelchairs are becoming better and better in providing independence and support, so let us take a moment and be thankful for that.
Should you buy instead? Check the options below.
Wheelchair rental vs. purchase in Stamford, CT
While there are lots of place in Stamford, CT where you could lease a wheelchair, I would counsel against it. There are a number of reasons for which you should buy rather than lease, and I am going to record some of them, simply to give you a clearer image.
- It’s money from the window — paying rent for a seat in Stamford, CT may not be a lot, but when the numbers add up, you will see that purchasing one is a lot better. Wheelchair rental companies will charge you an amount of money at the start of your contract, and after that you’ll need to pay a commission for each day or week of use, based on the company. Delivery and pick-up will be billed extra, so do not forget about that. The total amount will be dependent on just how far you use the chair. Because of this, at the end of your contract, then you will end up with a huge bill which will make you regret that you didn’t get a wheelchair at the first place. And should you purchase a wheelchair and you also take good care of it, you may sell it back at a affordable price. That’s if you don’t need it anymore. If you are permanently disabled, automobile leasing shouldn’t even be an alternative.
- What you need might not be available — as you can imagine, there are several kinds of wheelchairs, along with your requirement may demand a specific kind. On the other hand, the wheelchair rental firm may not have everything you need in stock, so you will end up in a seat that is not recommended for you. Your only choice is to accept what it’s given, and that may be bad for you. However, if you buy a new wheelchair, you can choose precisely what you require, and everyone is happy. Bear in mind that your comfort and stability would be your number one priority. It can prove to be inconvenient to settle for something you do not require. For example, let us say that you need a wheelchair with fixed armrests, however, the rental company doesn’t have one in inventory. What do you really do? Nothing, because you don’t have any options.
- You will get someone else’s busted wheelchair — Would you believe that wheelchair rental companies have new wheelchairs in inventory? No, a number of them are damaged. Perhaps not severely, but they may have a crooked wheel or even a rickety armrest. Do you really want that? Isn’t it best if you purchase a new seat and everything is as it should be? I believe that it is, and accepting a person’s leftovers is not fine, to say the very least.
- You may lose your deposit — when you choose wheelchair rental, you might lose your deposit at the smallest scratch. Accidents occur, and if they do with a leased seat, you will need to pay for it one way or another. Who needs that anxiety?
These are just a couple reasons why I believe that wheelchair rental is inferior to buy, but certainly in the event you consider it, you can return with more.
Budgeting is a portion of everyone’s life, and also wheelchair price is a very important aspect when you buy one. I don’t understand what are the wheelchair costs in Stamford, CT, but they can start from 80$ (non refundable) and reach as high as 12.000$, meaning very top of the lineup and also have all sorts of features. While price is important, remember to add quality at the equation. I know that you may live on a budget, but comfort is more significant in this case.
Many people in Stamford, CT avoid spending a lot of cash on a cubicle. That’s unless they can easily manage it. But while there are high-quality wheelchairs that cost a couple of hundred bucks, spending over a million bucks may bring you multiple advantages like elevating footrests, or even an electric wheelchair which could enable you to get up that mountain. The point is that the more you invest, the more advantages you’ll be able to enjoy. After all, the wheelchair is your way to freedom. It is not the moment to be a cheapskate.
Many of you that are searching for the ideal wheelchair ought to know that weight is significant. The wheelchair weight can determine how simple you move around. Another aspect you want to consider is how much you are going to move. If you’ve got work, by way of example, you may have to move quite a lot, meaning a thick wheelchair will make that a little bit hard for you, particularly in case you intend on with no help.
The wheelchair weight is determined by the materials where the chair is built. Obviously, you want a sturdy metal that produces the chair durable, but at the exact same time, you need a lightweight metal, such as aluminum. You can go for hybrids also, but they tend to be pricier than alloys. At the conclusion of the evening, it’s you who makes your budget. But, keep in mind that your meal weight is one of those factors you want to take into account before making a buy. Otherwise, you are able to experience muscle strain and exhaustion, which you don’t require.
When you buy a wheelchair, then you should also think about the accessories that you will need for this. What it’s sure is that you need a few things that will improve your mobility, and let’s not forget about relaxation. With that in mind, here are the most usual accessories you may require.
Sitting in a wheelchair all day long can cause pressure sores, skin ulcers, poor posture, and far more. You need your spine and tailbone to be more pliable, which is exactly why a wheelchair cushion is much more than necessary. You’re able to select from a huge range of cocktail lounges, but if you do not know which sort to select, here are a few bit of advice you need to know:
- Foam cushions — Foam has become the most common material used in wheelchair cushions. It’s most likely because foam is more affordable than other materials. But, high-density foam is far better than regular foam. I suppose you have heard of memory foam. It provides maximum comfort, it is going to assist with pressure sores, and it takes the form of your physique. Nonetheless, foam cushions are vulnerable to tear and wear much quicker than other substances. They do not last very long, particularly if they are in use daily.
- Gel cushions — Just as the name suggests, a gel cushion is made up of foam base and a gel bladder at the center. Those who have used foam and gel state that gel cushions are far better for pressure sores, and it can be something which each and every wheelchair user needs. Moreover, gel is intended to help you with keeping a wholesome position, and you will be pain-free on your lower spine and tailbone. On the flip side, exactly like anything else, there is a disadvantage to this kind of cushions as well. Gel bottoms-out, but kneading the cushion once per day can prevent that from happening anytime soon.
- Air flotation pillow — If you do not understand what’s, allow me to enlighten you. An air flotation cushion is made up of a certain number of balloons that inflate to keep you at a comfortable and healthy posture. You have the prospect of adjusting the stress points by tying a few balloons to prevent them from inflating. The only drawback of the form of cushions will be maintenance. After all, we are referring to balloons. They could escape air, and you want to fix that when and if it happens.
- Urethane honeycomb — Last however, urethane honeycomb is the newest technology in futon cushions. That’s because a urethane honeycomb cushion consists of numerous cells. In terms of support and comfort, this type is wonderful. In addition, the air may circulate freely between the cells, meaning that warmth retention is hopeless. Because of all those attributes, and because there are not any drawbacks whatsoever, this type of cushion has become the most expensive of them all.
Just a person who is bound to a wheelchair can comprehend the significance of a wheelchair ramp. The lack of access is a true barrier for a disabled individual, which is the reason why it is a good thing that most public spaces are obligated by law to install wheelchair ramps. Nevertheless, you should put in one at your home as well.
I am positive that you could find a number of stores in Stamford, CT which market wheelchair ramps. Lucky for you, they are not too costly, but you need someone to install it. However, make certain that you choose the wheelchair ramp slope you’re comfortable with. You don’t want the angle to be too high because that will make the climb tough for you. An angle that’s too low is not good either because it occupies too much space. I guess that the ideal wheelchair ramp slope is based upon the person and their body strength. Just make sure you consider it if you purchase your ramp.
Wheelchair covers are specially made to keep your seat away from dust or any additional elements. Maintenance is a substantial aspect when it comes to a wheelchair’s lifespan, which is the reason why you want to take all probable steps to take good care of this. A wheelchair cover is going to do exactly that. It isn’t too expensive if that’s what is on your head
The capacity to go from point A to point B is still another important facet. Just because you’re in a wheelchair does not indicate you could move just around your home or neighborhood. Lucky for you, there are a few things you can try. For starters, you can use a wheelchair van. It has an elevating system that may make entering and exiting the vehicle comparatively easy. Such a vehicle might be a little expensive, but it is going to help you with your mobility on extended distances. It’s possible to go out and interact more. It will keep you away from melancholy.
furthermore, if you like to travel in spite of your handicap, you can use a wheelchair RV. It’s pretty much exactly the same as the wheelchair van, however instead of a vehicle, you get an RV. You can travel anywhere you need, and you get the help you will need to get in and out of the car or truck. A wheelchair RV is most certainly the best means of traveling for a disabled person.
Love your own life
Surviving isn’t living, so make sure you relish everything on your daily life. There are tons of ways of entertaining that you can try. You can occupy a hobby or play a sport. Were you aware that you can play wheelchair football? It resembles regular soccer, except that you will be transferring the ball in your wheels. You ought to think about it.
If futon soccer is not your cup of java, you can join a wheelchair soccer team. Surely there are a few roughly Stamford, CT. Their sports events are fun, and you’ll be able to appreciate yourself a excellent thing. And of course that you get to exercise. What you want to remember is that you can keep yourself amused. All you have to do is find several activities for handicapped people in Stamford, CT and then combine.
Once you get used to it, then a wheelchair will get a part of you. You are going to discover how to live your own life inside, and you will be more than fine. Nonetheless, make sure that you make an informed decision when you purchase a wheelchair. Also, remember about the accessories, and get the very best wheelchair you can spend. After all, this is your freedom we are discussing, and you deserve the very best.