While being stuck in a wheelchair, either permanently or temporarily, isn’t a stroll in the park, items don’t need to finish for the person in question. It is still possible to live a relatively normal life, and we have to admit that a wheelchair provides you a portion of your independence back. It might have been worse if there were not wheelchairs whatsoever. But lucky for some individuals, they exist, and they have the potential of creating your life more bearable. Additionally, as technology progressed, wheelchairs are becoming better and better at providing support and mobility, so let’s take a minute and be thankful for it.
Should you buy instead? Check the options below.
Wheelchair rental vs. purchase in Washington, DC
Surely there are enough areas in Washington, DC from where you are able to lease a wheelchair. But, I don’t believe that’s the best thought. It’s best to obtain a wheelchair for a number of reasons. If you don’t understand what I am talking about, here are a couple of reasons why wheelchair rental is poor to purchasing one
- It is money out the window — paying rent for a chair in Washington, DC might not be a lot, but as soon as the numbers accumulate, you are going to understand that purchasing one is a good deal better. Wheelchair rental companies will charge you an amount of money at the beginning of your contract, and then you will need to pay a fee for every single day or week of usage, depending on the business. Delivery and pick-up will be billed extra, so remember about that. The total amount will be dependent on just how much you use the seat. Consequently, at the end of your contract, then you are likely to end up with a enormous bill which will make you regret that you did not buy a wheelchair in the first place. And if you buy a wheelchair and you also just take very good care of this, you may sell it back at a reasonable price. That’s if you do not need it anymore. If you are permanently disabled, automobile leasing should not even be an option.
- What you need might not be accessible — because you can imagine, there are a number of types of wheelchairs, and your requirement may demand a specific kind. However, the wheelchair rental company may not have what you need in stock, which means you will wind up in a seat which isn’t recommended for you. Your only solution is to take what it’s given, and that may be bad for you. However, should you buy a new wheelchair, then you can select precisely what you require, and everybody is happy. Keep in mind that your comfort and stability will be the number one priority. It may prove to be inconvenient to settle for something that you don’t require. By way of instance, let’s say that you will need a wheelchair with fixed armrests, however the rental company doesn’t have one in stock. What should you do? Nothing, since you have no options.
- You will not receive a new wheelchair — automobile leasing businesses supply chairs for everybody, so if anybody breaks you, it is going to be ‘adjusted’ and put back in inventory. But some damages cannot be undone, and you may wake up having a damaged chair. It might not be serious, however a bent wheel can be very inconvenient. You don’t want for that, do you? A new seat has its integrity intact, and that is what you need to wish for. In the end, using something someone else broke should not be an alternative for you.
- You might lose your deposit — when you select wheelchair rental, you can lose your deposit at the smallest scratch. Accidents happen, and should they do using a leased seat, you will have to pay for it one way or the other. Who wants that stress?
The reasons mentioned previously are just the tip of the iceberg, and surely you’ll find more. That is why I feel it is best if you buy a wheelchair and forget everything about automobile rental.
Anyone who’s on the lookout for a wheelchair in Washington, DC is concerned about the cost. The wheelchair cost is something that could ascertain whether you may buy a specific item or not. One thing is for certain, though. Rates can fluctuate from 80$ (the simple ones) to 12.000$ (those who can lift you up.) Everybody will decide based on budget, but quality is just as important as everybody else.
Many folks in Washington, DC prevent spending too much money on a wheelchair. That’s unless they are easily able to afford it. However, while you will find high-quality wheelchairs that cost a few hundred bucks, spending over a thousand dollars may bring you multiple benefits like elevating footrests, or even an electric wheelchair which can help you get up that hill. The point is that the longer you spend, the more benefits you can enjoy. After all, the wheelchair is your way to independence. It’s not the second to become a cheapskate.
Shed weight is more significant than you think. It will have an impact on your mobility considerably. The objective of a wheelchair would be to move around effortlessly. In case you opt for a thick wheelchair, that isn’t about to occur, is it? In case you’ve got work, or you like to maneuver around the area a whole lot, you want a wheelchair that’s lightweight, especially when you have no one to push one.
The wheelchair weight is ordered by the materials used for its construction. Lucky for you, you will find lightweight substances out there that can be as sturdy as possible. Take aluminum, for instance. It is a tough metal, but really lightweight. Hybrids are also an option, but they are somewhat costly. Alloys, on the other hand, are among the least expensive materials. In the end, the choice is yours, and you may base your choice depending on your budget. But do not forget that your meal weight is something that you need to bear in mind prior to purchasing a particular item. In the end, you’re the one who will push it around all day long.
Wheelchair accessories have been created for your comfort and advantage. There are a couple of things that you can buy along with your own wheelchair, and this are the most frequently used.
As a consequence from sitting in a wheelchair, you can suffer with pressure sores, skin ulcers, lower back pain, tailbone pain, and a few more. However, a wheelchair cushion will change that. There are many versions you can buy, and if you do not know what to Search for, here are some choices:
- Foam cushions — they’re the most frequently bought because they’re the least expensive. While regular foam is comparatively comfortable, my advice is to proceed with memory foam if you’re searching for a reasonable solution. High-density foams will continue to keep their shape for more, they will take the form of your entire body, and so far as comfort goes, you’ll enjoy lots. On the other hand, the disadvantage with foam wheelchair cushions is that they wear pretty quickly, and you will have to purchase a new one pretty soon.
- Gel cushions — gel cushions nevertheless have a foam base, but there is gel bladder someplace in the center that will prevent pressure sores greater than polyurethane. A good deal of individuals buy this and announce themselves fulfilled. They can help you with your position, and you will not experience pain in your lower spine and tailbone. The disadvantage with this type is that they tend to bottom-out. The solution to that would be to knead it at least one time per day.
- Air flotation cushion — If you do not understand what that is, let me inform you. An air flotation pillow is made up of a definite number of balloons that inflate to keep you in a comfortable and healthier posture. You have the possibility of adjusting the pressure points by tying a few balloons to stop them from inflating. The only drawback of the type of cushions is upkeep. In the end, we are discussing balloons. They are able to flow air, and you need to fix that when and if it happens.
- Urethane honeycomb — Last however, urethane honeycomb is the most recent technologies in futon cushions. That is because that a urethane honeycomb cushion is made up of numerous individual cells. In terms of comfort and support, this type is fantastic. Additionally, the air may circulate freely between the cells, which means that warmth retention is hopeless. Because of all those features, and because there are no drawbacks whatsoever, this type of pillow is the most expensive of all of them.
Access factors are critical for someone who’s bound to a wheelchair. You need one to get out and in the home, you require one in the office, and everywhere you go. Lucky for disabled individuals, it is the law to put in a wheelchair ramp in every public area. However, the one that you need in your home has to be installed by you.
I am sure that you could discover many stores in Washington, DC which sell wheelchair ramps. Lucky for you, they are not so costly, however you need someone to install it. Nevertheless, be certain that you choose the wheelchair ramp slope you are comfortable with. You do not need the angle to be too high since that is likely to make the scale hard for you. An angle that’s too low isn’t good either since it occupies too much space. I guess that the perfect wheelchair ramp slope is based upon the individual and his or her body power. Just remember to think about it when you purchase your ramp.
Keeping your wheelchair correctly is one of those matters you must concern yourself with. The better you keep the chair, the further long-lasting it’s going to be. When you don’t use it, then ensure that the wheelchair is kept in a clean and dry place. However, you could always get a wheelchair pay to help with that. It’s not costly, and it will keep your seat clean.
The capacity to move from point A to point B is still another important aspect. Just because you’re in a wheelchair doesn’t mean you could move just around your home or neighborhood. Lucky for you, there are a few things that you may try. For one, you may use a wheelchair van. It has an elevating system that will make entering and exiting the car relatively easy. Such a vehicle might be a little costly, but it is going to assist you with your mobility on long distances. It is possible to go out and socialize more. It will keep you away from depression.
When traveling is what it is you’re into, you can choose a wheelchair RV. It’s the exact same elevating system like the wheelchair van, however you could also live inside while on your trip. I think that for a handicapped person, a wheelchair RV is your best means of transportation while on vacation.
Do not forget to live
Surviving isn’t living, so make sure you enjoy everything in your lifetime. There are tons of ways of entertaining you can try. It is possible to occupy a hobby or play a sport. Were you aware that you can play with wheelchair football? It resembles regular football, except that you’ll be moving the ball on your wheels. You should consider doing it.
If futon soccer is not your cup of tea, it is possible to combine a wheelchair basketball team. Surely you will find a few around Washington, DC. Their sport events are enjoyable, and you can enjoy yourself a terrific deal. And of course that you get to exercise. Everything you want to remember is that you can keep yourself amused. All you have to do is find several tasks for handicapped people in Washington, DC and then combine.
After you become accustomed to it, a wheelchair will become a part of you. You are going to discover how to live your life inside, and you’ll be more than fine. However, make sure that you make an informed choice when you buy a wheelchair. In addition, do not forget about the accessories, and get your self the ideal wheelchair you are able to afford. After all, this can be your freedom we’re referring to, and you deserve the best.